The Lesbian At My Table



There’s a Lesbian at my table.
She sits adjacent to me
and eats the food I make.
She chews well enough –  
with her mouth closed.
She doesn’t swallow too loudly,
Or slurp her drink.

This Lesbian at my table
bides her time by calling me
“Mme”, and seduces me with offerings:
Nka lo siela tee?” and “Ke tswa go reka kuku e e sukitshana.”
I suppose she has learned well –
she can slip herself past thirsty eyes
and unchaste ears.

I found the Lesbian at my table
where I had left my beloved child.
She seems to have consumed her
like a hungered bird –
waited too long through a rainy night
and awakened to find no morsels
creeping along the moistened earth.

When I sat down for our evening meal
I thought I saw the tassels of booties
I had knitted while swollen
like a mango at summer’s end.
They were yellow like the sun
whose over affectionate kisses had me
too ripe to touch and unforgivingly tender.
 They slid between her lips
as she inhaled to say grace.

I broke bread with the lesbian at the table
and let my thoughts pirouette to
the syncopated clinks of cutlery on porcelain.
I drank her tea and nibbled her sweet cake.
I let her run me a hot bath and
we prayed before saying ‘Night-night’.

Her voice is still tender,
and her laugh unleashes memories
from before funeral processions
and mandatory condolences.
“He was a good man.” “An honourable father.”
Killed by a daughter he’d thought too weak to fight back.
Too obedient to refuse his cure.
Too discreet to scream: Bathong, monna ke yo!

The eyes are now parched
as I break bread with the lesbian at my table.
Walls are never high enough
for intolerance to falter and fall
and perhaps break its sinewy legs.
I keep her home for my safety and her sanity.
I call her Ngwanake.

There is a lesbian at my table.

Of all the things in life I need, This I Knead.

Share With Me.

Comments

  1. I love this! keep me posted on all of them pleeeaaase!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The heat before the kitchen... (Where to start?)

A Situational Tragedy