Writing Challenge: Loneliness Begets Promiscuity


No way out, but in. (It's a pun.)
Is your promiscuity getting you all knotted up?  Whether it's with humans, food, or with your words, most of your promiscuity is a survival trait of lonely souls. There are elements of life that we tend to feel are too much to handle so we find securities. For some that security comes in the form of bulky arms or a heaving breast. For some this security comes in wolfing down and inhaling the formula to indigestion, heartburn and obesity. For some this security comes from filling the world with words.

The latter tend to be the most popular and we veil ourselves as poets, politicians, artists, but never as lonely liars. I happen to be one of these promiscuous people, I whore myself through language. My linguistic freedom may be misconstrued as informedness, intelligence, aptitude or being articulate, but in it's truest form it is the child of loneliness.

Loneliness is not the evil here, it is a fundamental part of the human condition. We are built to be alone yet we get conditioned to associate for survival- here we become promiscuous, doing all we have to do to hold onto these meagre associations.

In light of the realisation of my linguistic promiscuity, I baked a miniature poem for you all. I took it upon myself to challenge myself by writing a haiku. Haikus are like the finger foods of the literary world, you get everything but the beauty lies in the details you often miss due to your hunger for grandeur and ostentatious frivolities. I invite you to take a nibble on this for size.

Quiet driveway hymns --
Day time makes it hard to see
Colour-soaked cheekbones. 

For my first haiku, I am rather proud of what I managed to dig up. Perhaps I may realise the value of words again. 

Of all the things in life I need, This I Knead.

Share With Me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The heat before the kitchen... (Where to start?)

A Situational Tragedy